Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 27 - Portrait of an Eater

OK, this isn't really a self-portrait, but if I was to do one, food might be involved.

I had 3 great meals in Cuba.  Though there are some fabulous restaurants in Havana, most of them overcook the seafood, pork or chicken.  That is, if what is stated on the menu is even available.  We only ran into this once, on the Malecón.   None of the fish on the menu were available, due to a shortage but they had replacements.  I think one of them was called a dog fish, also known as a cat shark or a nurse shark.  I had the marlin, thinking of Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea.  At this point in time, I do not believe Cuba is known for it's great food.

Here at La Torre, an overpriced restaurant with so-so food, one can enjoy a panoramic view of Havana from its 36th floor, in air conditioning (note Donna's coat and our sleeping companion!) 

No comments: